Leading Supplier of Stainless Steel 440
|Country||USA||BS & DIN||Japan|
|Standard||ASTM A276||EN 10088||JIS G4303|
Stainless Steel 440C ( 1.4125 ) is capable of attaining, after heat treatment, the highest strength, hardness and wear resistance of all the stainless alloys. Its very high carbon content is responsible for these characteristics, which make SS440C particularly suited to such applications as ball bearings and valve parts.
Properties of SUS440C Stainless Steel
- Hardenable high-carbon chromium steels designed to provide stainless properties with maximum hardness.
- Have maximum hardness together with high strength and corrosion resistance in the hardened and stress relieved condition.
- Always used in the hardened or hardened and stress relieved conditions.
- None of the alloys has its full corrosion resistance either in the annealed or in the hardened and tempered condition.
- Wide applications where good corrosion resistance along with high hardness or abrasion resistance is required.
Chemical Properties of Stainless Steel 440C
|Property||SS 400A||SS 440B||SS 440C|
|Carbon||0.60 - 0.75||0.75 - 0.95||0.95 - 1.2|
|Manganese||1.00 max||1.00 max||1.25 max|
|Silicon||1.00 max||1.00 max||1.00 max|
|Phosphorus||0.04 max||0.04 max||0.04 max|
|Sulfur||0.03 max||0.03 max||0.04 max|
|Chromium||16.0 - 18.0||16.0 - 18.0||16.5 - 18.0|
|Molybdenum||0.75 max||0.75 max||0.75 max|
Mechanical Properties of ASTM 440C Stainless Steel
|Tempering Temperature (°C)||Tensile Strength (MPa)||Yield Strength 0.2% Proof (MPa)||Elongation (% in 50mm)||Hardness Rockwell (HRC)||Impact Charpy V (J)|
These stainless steels have good corrosion resistance in the hardened and stress relieved conditions. Hence, they should, usually, be used only in that condition. These steels are resistant to such conditions as freshwater, steam, crude oil, gasoline, perspiration, and alcohol.
Hardening of 440C Steel
Stainless steel 440C grade can be hardened by heating at 760°C (1400°F). Temperature can be increased up to 1010°C (1850°F) followed by quenching in warm oil or cool in air. However, don’t overheat, because when overheated, full hardness cannot be obtained.
Because of the high carbon content, these alloys have an abrasive action on cutting tools. In the annealed condition, their machinability rating is about 40% compared to Bessemer oven stock (AISI B1112). As heat treated, the 440 series stainless steel are difficult to machine because of their high hardness. For parts that require extensive machining, the free-machining versions, SUS 440F or SUS440F Se, offer improved machining properties.
If annealed for maximum softness, SUS 440A, SUS 440B, and SUS 440C Stainless Steels can be moderately cold formed with only slightly more difficulty than the lower carbon, lower chromium grades of stainless steel. They can also be hot headed. Preheating in the range of 1400 – 1500° F insures the best results in hot working. Parts should be furnace cooled after hot working to prevent cracking.
PROCESS ANNEAL: Heat at 1350-1450° F then cool very slowly in the furnace.
FULL ANNEAL: Heat uniformly at 1550-1600° F soak and cool slowly in furnace to 1000-1250° F at a rate of 20-50° F per hour, then cool in air, oil, or water.
HARDENING: Preheat slowly to 1450° F and soak, then raise temperature to 1850-1950° F, quench in warm oil or air. Products hardness of C55-58 Rockwell.
STRESS RELIEVE: Heat to 300-800° F for 1 to 3 hours, air cool.
Applications of Stainless Steel 440C
SUS440 /440c Stainless Steel can be used in :
- Used in numerous applications in areas where a very hard and abrasion resistant stainless is called for
- Applications include pivot pins, dental and surgical instruments, cutlery valve parts, ball bearings, nozzles, hardened steel balls and seats for oil well pumps, plus valve parts
Our Sales and Supplier Network in SS400 / 440C / SUS400C Stainless Steel :
With over 15 years of experience and strong global sourcing networking in the market, we are proud to be the SS 440C Stainless Steel Supplier and Exporter to :
- Australia, Pakistan, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, China, Vietnam, Belgium, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, France, United Kingdom, Indonesia, Thailand, Hong Kong, China, Sweden, United States, Dubai, Finland, Brunei, Germany.
Besides, we have the full range of Stainless Steel sheets, Stainless Steel Round Bar, Stainless Steel Rods, Stainless Steel Plate which consists of
– 300 Series Stainless Steel : SUS304, SUS304L, SUS309, SUS310, SUS316Ti, SUS317, SUS321, SUS347
– 400 Series Stainless Steel : SUS403, SUS410, SUS420, SUS431, SUS440C, SUS630, SUS904L
– Nitronic 30, Nitronic 50, Nitronic 60
– Super Duplex S32750, S32760